August 25, 2011

Eat Local Challenge Day 25

Today, I had two different people ask me how the Eat Local Challenge was going. With one person, we discussed how the eating local movement has people reverting to the 1920s, pre-superstore, pre-mass production. We discussed the practicalities of the project and the role of big business in providing Americans what they need. With the second, I discussed how the Challenge has made me reevaluate what I value and what I think my individual role in my local economy should be.

Both conversations have really made me think, though I don't think I have reached a conclusion yet. There's still almost a week left in this month. Still time for me to decide how I really feel about all the effort that goes into eating locally. Until then, I do still have to eat.

I have noticed with this challenge that I have not been to the grocery store in weeks. Ok, I've picked up a few things here and there from Whole Foods, but I have not bought staples. I can't even tell you the last time I bought a carton of milk. So, my local dinners have been interesting combinations, that's for sure. 

Tonight's was no exception. I had lots of pasta leftover from earlier this week and veggies that were about to reach their prime in the crisper. So I threw together whatever I had, including what I thought was leftover pulled pork from the freezer. Turns out it was a chicken breast, which actually turned out to be better than the pulled pork would've been.

In a pan on the stove, I threw in squash (the variety that's half squash/half zucchini with a clever name that I can't remember...), purple onion, tomato, yellow corn, and the chicken. I used little seasoning, mostly because I couldn't figure out what to use. I cooked it all in olive oil, sprinkled in some garlic powder and thyme, then added a dash of soy sauce to the chicken. All the natural flavors shown through and it was pretty delicious! I'm actually kind of proud of myself. Easy, healthy, and local (mostly, except for the chicken). I'll have to remember this recipe for the future. Glad I have leftovers for tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggestions for Supper