August 22, 2011

Eat Local Challenge Day 22

I finally had a night at home, with nowhere to be until 7:30. I finally have a night to cook for myself and use up the veggies from last week's market run . I always have the staples in my kitchen to make Italian so I thought I would add fresh veggies into my store-bought spaghetti sauce. Earlier today I read a recipe using breaded eggplant as the sandwich bread and stuffed with tomato, basil, and goat cheese. Can't wait to try that!

Inspired, I sliced up the eggplant I had, and pan-seared it. I had planned to still add the pepper, onion, and tomato to my sauce but I realized once I started cooking that I had no sauce! So,I improvised.

Basically what I ended up with was a plate of noodles topped with a few veggies and some eggplant slices.


It looks better than it tastes. To add a little flavor I melted some Swiss cheese on top. The flavors are good but I didn't use enough seasoning (expecting to use what was in the sauce) and I just don't have enough veggies for the amount of noodles on my plate.

I'll remember this for the future and might try to build on it to make it better. At least I'm not spending money and wasting food.

I'm having dinner tomorrow night at Sunset Grill so maybe that'll make up for it. (If you read my earlier post today, I was trying to choose where to eat tomorrow and selected Sunset for its dessert menu and local meats.)

Here's to experimentation!!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggestions for Supper