August 23, 2011

Coffee Break

This morning, like every morning, I needed coffee. I ran out of ground coffee over the weekend and haven't had a chance to buy a new bag that meets the Eat Local Challenge so I had to visit a coffee shop this morning. Not a sacrifice to me, really!

I have driven past The JaM Coffee House at the intersection of Wedgewood and 12th Ave. S. several times but have never gotten a chance to stop. I had wanted to visit on Sunday morning because, as much as I like the Frothy Monkey and Fido, I didn't want to get caught in the Sunday brunch crowd. Unfortunately, JaM isn't open on Sundays. (Bad for my coffee habit but good for them for upholding Southern traditions.)

So I tried again this morning. The Nashville Scene review mentioned the tricky entrance and the trouble traffic could create in getting to this parking lot. This morning I didn't seem to have much trouble with that. Lucky me!

I walked in to find a kitschy little shop and retro/vintage 60s furniture. I honestly felt like I'd stepped into someone's home.

I stepped up to the counter and, instead of ordering my usual black drip coffee or a cafe au lait, I asked the barista for a recommendation. She suggested an agave latte. With a total leap of faith, I ordered one.

Bethany made my traditional nonfat latte with local Tennessee milk (an unintentional nod to the Eat Local Challenge), and organic agave sweetener. She even threw in a dash of vanilla extract because that's the way she likes to drink it. I'm glad she asked first, but I was also glad to have a customized drink.

And indeed it was yummy! In fact, I savored it all morning. I don't normally like sweet drinks but this was the right amount of sweetness to make it interesting.

I wish I'd taken my phone in with me to take pics but I was in a hurry.

Because it's on 1 of my routes to work, I'll probably go again. Next time I'm in the mood for something for something sweet, I'll probably go get another agave latte. I recommend you try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggestions for Supper