August 1, 2011

Eat Local Challenge Day 1

Last week, I accepted the Eat Local Challenge, created by Nashville farmers marketer, Mary. In this challenge, Mary encouraged participants to "eat locally" during the month of August, meaning buying food that is sourced from only as far away as 150 miles. Her goal is to support the local economy and engage the community in local farmers markets, while examining our dependence on oil for transporting food.

Mary has started a support group of sorts on Facebook and has asked participants to document their struggles, discoveries, recipes, etc. And so, I will be documenting mine here, where I am already writing about eating.

Today at lunch, I posted this on TwitterTo begin my version of the  I am eating things in my fridge that are gonna go bad. 


So that is what I did, because I figure it is just as wasteful to throw things away as it is to truck them in from across the country. Tomorrow, I plan to hit up the 12 South Farmers Market for a few more items to mix in with the rest of my leftovers, and Wednesday I want to go to the Local Summer Night Fair at Whole Foods to stock up on more local goodies.

Hopefully, by the end of the week I'll be well on my way to discovering what the "Eat Local Challenge" is really all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggestions for Supper