January 7, 2010

I know why the Russians drink Vodka

If you lived in a snowy tundra, you'd need something to keep yourself warm, too! That's why, in the middle of Winter Storm Watch 2010, it was a nice surprise to find $5 vodka cocktails that warmed my soul. Although I'm not normally a fan of vodka (I'm more of a bourbon and gin girl myself), I am a fan of a bargain. And I'd say 1/2-price signature drinks at a swanky midtown bar qualify as such.

I trekked out in the cold this week to meet a friend for the start of our new tradition of standing Happy Hour dates.We kicked it off at Virago, Midtown's Asian fushion/sushi bar. Sushi is something I don't normally eat, but the Happy Hour menu contains none of that. Much like its sister restaurant, Lime, the happy hour menu features several choices for $5 each. Unlike Lime's happiest hours, Virago's cocktail specials run from 5-7 p.m.


The menu offers several signature cocktails, some vodka-based, others anchored in champagne; a house red and white wine, and an appetizer or two. I tried the Bellinitini (like a traditional Bellini but made with Stoli Peach vodka instead of champagne) and Julie had the White Cosmo, which had the taste of a regular Cosmo, only the bartender used cranberry-flavored vodka instead of the cranberry juice. Beautiful!


If you need a little nibble with your cocktail, the tempura (flash-fried veggies) are also only $5 or $6 and are plenty enough for 2. We opted for the green beans with a soy and peanut sauce, but Virago also offers mushrooms, asparagus, and sweet potatoes (I'd have liked to try those!). So, 1 cocktail and an appetizer split down the middle can get you a nice little after-work treat for under $10. And help warm you up for the drive home in the cold car!


You don't have to be a sushi fan to find something delicious at Virago. With its low lighting, hand-painted cocktail tables, and friendly wait staff, it seems like the right choice for any number of occasions. I can't wait to go back! Anyone wanna join?


Stay warm, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggestions for Supper