December 7, 2009

Rumour has it you can speak easy here

I realized recently that as many times as I have gone out in the year-and-a-half since I moved to this town, I continue to frequent the same 5-7 places I first visited as a Nashville Newbie. I realized there are many gems that I am overlooking because I continue to stick with what I know. 

Last week, I branched out and tried somewhere new. I started the night at a place I've always wanted to try and ended in my comfort zone, one of my standard go-to guarantees for a good night out. 

When I encountered yet another wait that bordered on an hour at Whiskey Kitchen (seriously, what is it with the long waits these days?), we opted for The Patterson House, one of those paragons of Nashville nightlife that I had been dying to try for myself. And I finally made it behind that infamous blue curtain. 

While I won't try to compete with this guy's blog, I will say that it was intimate and romantic in an I-feel-like-I-belong-in-the-pages-of-great-American-literature kind of way. (Maybe that has something to do with the fantasy my brother and I have always shared that if we'd been in our early 20s during the Roarin' '20s, we would have been flappers and party-goers and our family would have been the owners of a speakeasy, or illicit alcohol at the very least...)

I will also add that my Manhattan included a flaming orange rind and was one of the smoothest drinks I've ever been served. (The Patterson House lists the cocktails on their menu in order from lightest/easiest to drink to heaviest. The Manhattan made the bottom of the bourbon list!) But the food menu left a little to be desired at this point in the evening, so we ventured to my mainstay--Rumours Wine & Art Bar. (We were craving an artisan cheese plate, and I do love the Drunken Goat that Rumours serves up!)

Tucked cozily into the 12th South neighborhood, Rumours evokes an air of trendiness without trying to hard. At least, I feel that way; others may disagree. But I always feel comfortable there, which cannot be said about every wine bar. With specials that change daily and staples that remain constant, it's easy to find any number of tempting dishes to accompany a glass or 3 from the decent-sized wine list. The prices are relatively manageable (although I have gotten myself into some trouble there before!)

In addition to the cheese, I ordered my other mainstay--the shrimp & grits. Served in a cocktail glass and topped with a balsamic dressing, it was the first meal I ordered at Rumour's East location and the only one I've ordered since. We finished with a slice of Elvis cake (banana nut cake with peanut butter and cream cheese frosting--yum!) which were compliments of the waiter for some reason I'm still unsure of but didn't question because who really wants to turn down Elvis cake?

I'm wondering why I always write these posts at night; now I am hungry but it's time for bed. Maybe I can continue to venture out this weekend or revisit another local favorite I haven't seen for awhile. I'm open to suggestions!

Buon appetito, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggestions for Supper