November 23, 2009

Leftovers know no Bound'ry

Saturday night, a sorority sister and I enjoyed one of those single-girl luxuries: getting all dolled up to go to a fancy dinner, share a bottle of wine, gossip, gloss, and lament being single. It's therapy. This weekend's get-together was particularly therapeutic, set against the artistic, cozy backdrop of one of the roaring fireplaces at Bound'ry, on 20th Ave. near Vanderbilt. But this was no college-kid kind of night. This was a night for serious girl talk and seriously good food.

J. paired her glass of red with the Veal Osso Bucco. While I'm not a veal fan, it did look delicious. Paired with large asparagus stalks and a creamy risotto, it looked lovely sitting on her plate. I ordered the 14 oz. bone-in pork chop with my glass of Savignon Blanc. While the cut of meat was delicious, the truffled mac & cheese stole the show. At least in my opinion. (In fact, when the waiter  boxed up my leftovers to take home for meal #2, he left off the mac & cheese. When I asked about it, he brought me another serving to go.)

So yes, 14 oz. makes for a huge meal. One that's hard to eat while discussing blind dates, and real estate agents, and the pending birth of our friend's baby. So I warmed up the chop and the mac  & cheese over the stove and sauteed some green beans (my mom's specialty!)  to make a nearly perfect second meal. And even on my non-descript white dinner plate, eating on my couch while watching my favorite sitcom, I feel like I've dined well this Monday evening.

Bound'ry boasts that its fireplaces will keep guests dining outdoors well into the changing of the seasons. The restaurant's atmosphere is cozy, and the fire is a nice touch. But that atmosphere doesn't have to be limited to Midtown in mild weather. Bring your leftovers home (be they from Bound'ry or any other generous restaurant), warm them up on the stove, and enjoy another night of dining in, which can be just as delightful as dining out. (And think of the favor you're doing to your wallet!)

Buon appetito, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggestions for Supper