May 19, 2012

Fresh From the Food Truck: Rollin' & Smokin'

The first week of my new job ended with a relatively new Nashville tradition: Food Truck Fridays.

Definition: a fleet of food trucks set up shop in a corporate parking lot, enticing employees out to try a variety of options, and donate a portion of the proceeds to a charitable cause.

In the first edition of our Food Truck Fridays, the one option I'd been dying to try was Rollin' & Smokin'. I'd spied this truck parked outside of Friedman's Army Navy store several times but had never had the chance to try it.  When I checked out the menu, I knew it was right up my Alabama alley.

This truck touts itself as GoreMade Southern Cuisine, and every dish is named after a member of the Gore family, an Alabama icon, or someone special to the Gores. (All of this is explained on the menu.)

My dad and I can eat barbecue together at pretty much the drop of a hat, so I knew I was going to enjoy this truck. When I read about Skyline's Mac & Cheese, with 3 different kinds of cheese and truffle oil, I knew I was going to love this truck!

Rollin' & Smokin's special of the day was a delicious concoction of Southern-ness: the HoDownHoCake. It started with a base layer of cornbread griddle cake, piled on the truffle oil mac & cheese, and topped it all off with my meat of choice--pulled pork and sweet barbecue sauce. It was Alabama in every bite.

Rollin' & Smokin's HoDownHoCake

Although my hair smelled like barbecue smoke for the rest of the day, this was definitely worth the $7 plus tax I paid and the bonding over food I did with my new coworkers. Next time you see the yellow truck rollin' down the street, stop and indulge in some good ol' fashioned feel-good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggestions for Supper