August 3, 2011

Eat Local Challenge Day 3

Yesterday, I visited the 12th South Farmers Market. This evening it was the Local Summer Night Fair at Whole Foods in Green Hills. Thanks to my friend Christian for shopping with me and encouraging me to make it out to Whole Foods tonight! I stocked up on tomatoes, yellow squash, and goat cheese at the 12th South market. Tonight I came home with fresh basil (a gift from one of the vendors), blackberries that I've already eaten almost all of, ballerina cucumbers, peaches 'n' cream corn, and a fresh hot pepper. On first glance, none of it goes together. And other than using the corn and pepper to make some salsa, I have no plans for the rest of it.

I had planned to come home and roast the squash, tomatoes, and some red potatoes I bought inside Whole Foods. But, by the time I got home, it was late, I was really hot, and I was too hungry to wait for veggies to be roasted. So I heated up a leftover burger, topped it with some sliced cheddar, and whipped up my own Greek salad with the tomato, cuke, basil, and goat milk feta.

Homemade Greek salad with only local ingredients
When I visited Greece about five summers ago, Greek salads like this were our comfort foods in a strange, hot land. Tonight's was no different. I am now full, refreshed, and proudly supporting my local farmers. Day 3 of the Eat Local Challenge goes down as a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggestions for Supper