January 18, 2011

A Miss at Macke's

One of the first places I learned about when I first moved to Nashville was Macke's in Green Hills. Unlike all the other places I learned about when I first moved to Nashville, I have not been countless times and have not memorized the menu. Until today, when I was invited to a luncheon held under the skylight of Grace's Plaza restaurant.

Macke's, sister restaurant to Franklin's Mack and Kate's Cafe, creates an ambiance of sophisticated elegance despite its location directly across from a county clerk satellite office and several other retailers. With white linen tablecloths and napkins and hot tea served in delicate china teapots, any occasion would be deemed special at Macke's. Unfortunately, I didn't venture into the actual restaurant today, so I can't describe the interior, but the website boasts a few pretty pictures. It must be gorgeous, though, because diners can purchase the floral arrangements direct from Macke's.

As pretty as it all seemed to be when I sat down, I should have ordered something dainty and girly, befitting of a women's luncheon. Something like the Apple Pear Grilled Chicken Salad, featuring candied nuts, blue cheese, and a cinnamon mustard vinaigrette in addition to the titular ingredients. Or maybe the Patty Melt served atop rye bread with two kinds of cheeses, Russian dressing, and grilled onions. Or the Lobster BLT Wrap, consisting of lobster, goat cheese, caramelized onions wrapped up nicely with the bacon, lettuce and tomato part. In fact, as I peruse the menu now to proffer these suggestions, I wonder why I chose what I ordered: a club sandwich.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good club sandwich. It was made with deli-thin ham, dry shaved turkey, two cheeses, lettuce, bacon, and fresh red tomatoes on toasted sourdough bread. However, the bacon was undercooked and a little too fatty for my taste. And there was so much mayo that everything slipped and slid until all I was left with was a messy pile of food on my plate that I couldn't make heads or tails of how to eat. Meanwhile, everyone else had their prim and proper salads and were able to easily participate in the conversation because they were not trying to figure out how the most ladylike way to eat a 12" tall sandwich!

I love a good club sandwich, I really do! But not at a place that serves its tea in heirloom china. Why did I make this selection you ask? Well, I may have mentioned once or twice how loooong it takes me to select a meal from a menu full of many delicious choices. Overwhelmed and feeling the pressure to order quickly, I said the first thing that popped off the paper at me. Looking back, I would definitely have opted for something more unique to Macke's. I also think that if I was going to pay $13 for lunch I should have something like Lobster Mac & Cheese or the Crab Cake Baguette. Or at least asked for a to-go box so I could finish mutilating my sandwich in private.

The End Notes:

  • Atmosphere seems welcoming for small intimate groups, lunch with the girlfriends, or a business dinner. 
  • Unless someone else is picking up the tab (or you're trying to impress your dining partner) stay away from Macke's for lunch. It's a little on the pricey side.
  • If you have more than an hour and don't mind indulging a little, though, then do go to Macke's for lunch. It'll be worth it. (As long as you order something unique.)
  • In Franklin? Check out Mack and Kate's Cafe for a more upscale experience.
  • Messy sandwiches and linen napkins don't mix!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggestions for Supper