February 9, 2010

Salmon on Tap

My mother's favorite restaurant in Nashville thus far is the 12th South Taproom & Grill, which she stumbled upon quite by accident. A year ago, she was in town for a conference and wanted to go "somewhere that my friends and I would go all the time." So of course I thought of Mafioza's. (I do love beer in those mason jars!) Unfortunately, it was a Monday, the place was closed, and being tired, hungry, and not that in favor of an adventure, we settled on the 12th South Taproom if only because the parking lots are adjacent. Having heretofore only patroned this 12th South neighborhood joint for the bar aspect of "bar & grill" I wasn't really sure what we would be getting in to, but Mom was game, so off we went.

With too many beers on tap to name (think of a scaled-down version of The Flying Saucer) and live music almost nightly, it's a fun place to hang out in the evenings. The menu, though, is not too shabby. The food always tastes fresh, the specials change daily, and there is a little something for everyone. Not your typical deep-fried pub grub. And it was on this menu that Mom found "the best salmon she has ever had."

Literally, she claims to think about this dish (she ordered the Grilled Salmon with a side of parmesan mashed potatoes and a baby green salad) all the time. Sometimes I wonder if it's not the impetus behind her decision to come visit me! When she and Dad came for my birthday this summer, of course we visited 12th South Taproom for the salmon (which she had added to the entree-sized baby green salad in the heat of June).

So it only seemed appropriate that when she and two of our best friends (second family?) cooked up a weekend visit, the trio of Alabamians barely had time to set down their monogrammed duffel bags before we all piled back in the Volvo and headed to 12th Ave. South.

As is Mom's modus operandi, she knew what she would order without looking at the menu. The rest of us, of course, took forever to make a decision. But I think that as in part because the waiter took forever in taking our order. He was one of those haughty types that wrote nothing down--which drives me crazy!--but he did get our order delivered accurately if not at all quickly. 

I ordered the pulled pork sandwich (remember, I do love pork!) with pasta salad, which I used to like until I stopped eating mushrooms. This bow-tie pasta with fresh basil, cubed squash, zucchini, and tomatoes, and fresh feta. Delicious, save for the mushrooms. Melanie ordered an avocado BLT with gouda mac (yum!) and Alisa got a jalepeno patty melt. Both orders typified their personalities. 

Everyone enjoyed their meals (and yes, Mom got her salmon fix!) but we hated the length of time we had to sit and wait. Wait for our order to be taken, wait for our food, wait for the check. It was much too long for a Saturday lunch. By the time we were finished, we hardly had time to shop til we dropped. 

The End Notes:

  • While I will go back with Mom next time she visits, because its doubtful I'll have a choice, I think I'll save future visits to 12th South Taproom for good beer, live music, and the open-air patio seating.
  • If your parents are visiting, and like to grab a beer with you, bring them here in the evening. If you're meeting friends for a casual night out, come here. For Saturday lunch, I'd find somewhere else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggestions for Supper